Today seems to be a day of lessons-learned, so I thought I’d list them for you. Hopefully this saves you the trouble of learning these things the hard way!
1. Do not start picking your nail polish off late at night and then go to bed without taking it completely off. If you don’t, you will end up at work with nails that look like this:
2. Do not eat popcorn at 10:00pm the night before you are doing a speed workout. Your stomach absolutely will revolt.
3. Do check the temperature outside before heading out for a run. Not just the actual temperature, but the “feels like” temperature. Otherwise, you will be under-dressed.
Just because it’s sunny does not mean it’s warm.
4. Do wash your hands after you use dry shampoo and before you touch anything. It leaves white residue. Everywhere.
5. Do not hit the snooze button. Your day will be so much better if you just get up.
So, as you may have gathered, it was bit of a rough morning! A speed workout with a cramping stomach that I set out too late to fit in comfortably = a rushed morning and spinning head. I’m going reread this post to myself tonight in hopes that I’ll remember the lessons in the morning!
Other things to check out:
- This post on fannetastic food: it’s full of quinoa recipes to try.
- This article on how you can help people in the Philippines in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan.
- Warby Parker’s new Winter Collection. For every pair that is sold, a pair is distributed to a person in need.
- This song (thanks LC!!)
Happy Hump Day!
How was your workout today? Any lessons learned? Digging any new artists or songs?
Well, Jillian Michaels killed me last night during Yoga Meltdown. My arms are SO weak, it is sad. As I gymnast, I used to be able to do hundreds of pull-ups and push-ups; not the case anymore! Seriously sad. I’m pretty sure the people that could see into my apartment (I forgot to close the shades) were laughing at me. It was that bad.
Tonight is my abs class (woo!) and a speed workout. On Wednesdays, I run to the gym to warm up (0.5 miles), complete a quick 20-25 minute speed workout on the treadmill, take the 30 minute abs class, and then run home. Tonight I will be adding a 3.5 mile run after the class to shakeout the legs and get some more pavement time in.
Since I normally do a fartlek type run on the treadmill with little to no plan, I decided to look some up. Below are some of the plans I liked. There are a lot out there, so if these don’t strike your fancy, there are more to choose from.
||5 minutes – walk/slow jog at 3.5 MPH, at a 7% incline.
||Run at 6.0 MPH, at a 1% incline.
||Slow it down to 5.0 MPH and run for 3 minutes.
||Speed up to 6.8 MPH for 30 seconds.
||Go back to 5.0 MPH for 3 minutes.
||Sets Keep repeating the 3 minute/30 seconds intervals until the clock reaches 25 minutes.
||Run at 6.0 MPH for another mile.
||Slowly jog for 5 minutes at 3.5 MPH at a slight incline (5% to 7%).
This last one can be adjusted to match your speeds. Credit: http://running.about.com/od/treadmillrunning/a/fartlekworkout.htm
I’ll let you tomorrow which one I try…stay tuned!
What speed work do you do? Do you run it outside or on the treadmill?